You’ve traveled far to look for your new rental and it’s time to submit your application, so make sure you have all the documentation you need in advance to make the process easier! These are things you should have prepared in a file or safe place to have at your fingertips when completing a rental application. Landlords and property management companies will require different things. It might even be helpful to have several copies of each on hand in the event you want to apply at more than one property or you can even scan them to have in digital form. Apps like Scannable are perfect for easily scanning documentation right from your phone and storing the files that can be accessed easily when needed.
Your pay stubs and reference letters should be pulled together well in advance so you aren’t left scrambling at the last minute. And if you have pets, a pet resume is a must to add to your list of required documents!
- Your Offer Letter- This is the most important thing you can have with you. It should state the terms of your employment (permanent or temporary assignment), salary, start date and hiring manager (or number to confirm employment) and should also be on company letterhead.
- Driver’s license or Photo I.D. (passport, state ID)
- SS Card/# (or Visa)
- Proof of Income (many landlords require that you make 3-5 times the rent) i.e. W-2, last 3 payroll stubs if with same employer, offer letter
- Money – Some places will accept security deposits with personal check, but others will require a certified check or money order. Most require the security deposit and application fee to be separate checks.
- References for the last year’s residence (references from prior landlords can’t hurt either, especially if you have pets or have owned recently)
- Credit Report- You are entitled to a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies each year – Experian, TransUnion and Equifax; however, it will be missing a beacon (or credit) score that is commonly used to approve an application. You can also obtain a credit report at: http://www.EqualOpportunityRentals.com/freecreditreport.html or www.freecreditreport.com
Share this Post